[tex4ht] [bug #488] \over does not give the same result as equivalent \frac

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Oct 26 22:00:31 CET 2020

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 08:15:13PM +0100, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> > Details:
>
> > {a \over b} does not give the same output as \frac{a}{b}, processed by htlatex
>
> you shouldn't use \over with latex. With amsmath you would also get a
> warning
>
> Package amsmath Warning: Foreign command \over;
> (amsmath)                \frac or \genfrac should be used instead
> (amsmath)                 on input line 16.

It is actually in plain TeX, but htlatex needs to be used to have a
reference output with the equivalent \frac, to give a better idea of the
output that should be produced by tex4ht with httex.  Also, even if
there is a warning, the output is exactly the same with LaTeX and it
allows to have a code that works both in TeX and in LaTeX which may be
desirable in some cases.  I may be wrong, but my first idea would be
that it is better if tex4ht does the same and the right thing both for
TeX and LaTeX for constructs that exist in both, even if there is a
warning in LaTeX.

--
Pat