[tex4ht] ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [save size=100000]. with tex4ht only

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Sun Aug 23 23:19:08 CEST 2020

Hello Michal;

On 8/23/2020 4:42 AM, Michal Hoftich wrote:

> Ah this is really bad, I see no reason for such long compilation time.

I spend most of today looking at this. This is what I just discovered:

When compiling with "mathjax,htm" it takes a little less than 2 hrs.

When compiling with "mathml,mathjax,htm" it takes 15 minutes.

All other things being equal. I repeated this few times to make sure.

So I am now using mathml in all my makefiles.

I do not know why this makes such a big difference in compile time.
But I am sure you would be able to find out why.

I made a self contained folder, which has all the latex files and put
it in zip file. The zip file has two scripts with the make4ht command
I use, called

     build_slow.sh
     build_fast.sh

So you could just type

       ./build_slow.sh

The first file uses "mathjax,htm" and the second uses "mathml,mathjax,htm"

I am using TL 2020 on Ubuntu under Windows 10 Linux subsystem.

The zip file contains everything needed I am using. No images are
involved. It is all just latex files.

      -rwxrwxrwx 1 me me 4035561 Aug 23 16:13 current_version.zip

All what you need to do, if you like to check the time on your end is
to unzip it, then cd to the folder created and issue the above command
and see how long it takes on your end.

The Latex code is generated by a program. So not very readable. But
it does compile OK.

Please find the zip file here in this folder at my site:

https://www.12000.org/tmp/082320/

Please let me know if there is any problem running this on your end
if you get chance to try it.

Thank you,