[tex4ht] ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [save size=100000]. with tex4ht only

Michal Hoftich michal.h21 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 10:25:17 CEST 2020

Hi Nasser,

>======
>! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [save size=100000].
>\__tl_analysis_a_space_test:w ->\if_meaning:w \l__tl_analysis_char_token \c_space_token \tex_toks:D
>\l__tl_analysis_index_int {\exp_not:n { }}
>                                                                                                                                               \__tl_analysis_a_store: \else: \int_incr:N \l__tl_analysis_normal_int \fi: \__tl_analysis_a_loop:w

My guess that this can be caused by the regular expressions we use for
fixing of code that is passed to MathJax.

>I fixed this by editing /usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf.cnf as root and adding
>this new entry
>
>save_size=1000000
>
>And now the file compiles OK with tex4ht. (it takes about 2 hrs to compile)

This is clearly too long. How long dit it take before the update?

>It is strange, that I never had to use this before except now. Something changed
>in tex4ht to cause the need to increse save size, which I have no idea
>what it does.

It is possible that the changes happened in the LaTeX kernel and TeX4ht
has nothing to do with that.

>I found another problem in HTML after updating TL last night. Will leave
>that for different post until I make MWE for it.

Yes, regressions can happen, unfortunatelly.