[tex4ht] DVI error: page count in postamble doesn't match actual number of pages

Martin Gieseking martin.gieseking at uos.de
Sat Aug 18 10:52:16 CEST 2018

Am 18.08.2018 um 09:51 schrieb Nasser M. Abbasi:
> FYI;
>
> I've updated the ZIP file to include the DVI and IDV files as well.
>
> I've also put a copy of the DVI and IDV files outside the zip file
> if it is easier to download.
>
> Everything is in this folde on my site:
>
> https://www.12000.org/tmp/081882/
>
> Any other info needed, please let me know.
>
> This is a big problem for me now, since I can no longer compile
> this file in htlatex once it got big. it is about 4,000 pages (PDF).

The reason for the mentioned error is a limitation of the DVI format.
The field in the postamble holding the total number of pages is a 16-bit
value, i.e. if the document consists of more than 65535 pages, there's a
number overflow resulting in a mismatch between this value and the
actual number of pages.
Fortunately, the value in the postamble has no impact on other data in
the DVI file so that I can replace the plausibility check by just
comparing the lower 16 bits of the page count. I tried that with your
IDV file and it worked properly.

Martin