[tex4ht] DVI error: page count in postamble doesn't match actual number of pages

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Sat Aug 18 11:03:27 CEST 2018

On 8/18/2018 3:52 AM, Martin Gieseking wrote:
> Am 18.08.2018 um 09:51 schrieb Nasser M. Abbasi:
>> FYI;
>>
>> I've updated the ZIP file to include the DVI and IDV files as well.
>>
>> I've also put a copy of the DVI and IDV files outside the zip file
>> if it is easier to download.
>>
>> Everything is in this folde on my site:
>>
>> https://www.12000.org/tmp/081882/
>>
>> Any other info needed, please let me know.
>>
>> This is a big problem for me now, since I can no longer compile
>> this file in htlatex once it got big. it is about 4,000 pages (PDF).
>

> The reason for the mentioned error is a limitation of the DVI format.
> The field in the postamble holding the total number of pages is a 16-bit
> value, i.e. if the document consists of more than 65535 pages, there's a
> number overflow resulting in a mismatch between this value and the
> actual number of pages.
> Fortunately, the value in the postamble has no impact on other data in
> the DVI file so that I can replace the plausibility check by just
> comparing the lower 16 bits of the page count. I tried that with your
> IDV file and it worked properly.
>
> Martin

Thanks Martin. So basically you are saying one can ignore this error.
This is good.

But to any one else who might know:

Is this error generated by dvisvgm has anything to do with the error
generated below it, which is "Image processing error: max_count exceeded"

------
Entering index.css
Entering index.tmp
Make4ht: dvisvgm -v1 -n -c 1.15,1.15 -p 1- index.idv
DVI error: page count in postamble doesn't match actual number of pages
Make4ht: tex4ht  -cmozhtf -utf8 "index.dvi" can be executed only 1x
Make4ht: t4ht  -p "index.dvi" can be executed only 1x
Parse LG
Image processing error: max_count exceeded
Image processing error: max_count exceeded
Image processing error: max_count exceeded
-----------------

If the dvisvgm error can be safetly ignored, what about the above
image processing error that follow? Are they also caused by same
overflow issue?

And I am wondering now if this is why compiling this file to HTML
always takes so long. May be these error messages are what is slowing
htlatex.

The file does eventually get compiled to HTML, yes. I just did not
know if there are problems in the generated HTML. Too many web page
to check visually that each page has the correct math placed on it
or not.