[tex4ht] what is the fastest way to convert large document to HTML?

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Thu Aug 16 14:12:29 CEST 2018

I am still struggling with very slow latex to HTML conversion
for large document with lots of math.

using svg for math, the bottleneck is always dvisvgm.

For a document of 4,000 pages, with about 50,000 math expressions, it
takes 8 hrs on Linux in a Vbox and 2.5 hrs on PC running Linux. It
takes less than 2 minutes to compile it using lualatex to PDF.

So I want to get away from dvisvgm. Using png for math is no
better. Still just as slow.

What other options are there using tex4ht to speed the
process of conversion that I could try? Even if the quality of
math is not as good as svg.

I am only familiar with using svg and png for math images. But
I know tex4ht supports other formats and also mathjax.  I now
use make4ht to compile.

Any suggestion what else to try that will be much faster?

I can't spend 5-10 hrs each time waiting for document to compile
to HTML each time I make small change.

Thanks