[tex4ht] [bug #394] Support for oolatex on Debian

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jun 26 22:51:29 CEST 2018

On 2018-06-26 at 14:35:12 +0200, Michal Hoftich wrote:

 > On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 1:36 AM, Reinhard Kotucha
 > <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:
 > > On 2018-06-25 at 20:59:26 GMT, Karl Berry wrote:
 > >
 > >  > Follow-up Comment #4, bug #394 (project tex4ht):
 > >  >
 > >  > Using SELFAUTOPARENT at all will not work on Debian, as things
 > >  > stand. It's easiest to hardwire it to /usr/share/texlive.
 > >  > Maybe if that directory exists, use it, else use
 > >  > SELFAUTOPARENT.  Alternatively, if SELFAUTOPARENT expands to
 > >  > /, look for /usr/share/texlive or other alternatives.
 > >
 > > TEXMFROOT can be used instead of SELFAUTODIR or SELFAUTOPARENT.
 > > This should work in most cases, but if distributors don't set it
 > > up properly...
 >
 > Thanks, that sounds nice. Bad news is that I've found that Miktex
 > doesn't support any of these variables, so a different method to
 > find the root directory must be used. I am thinking about using
 > kpse.find_file to locate some file in a known location, but what if
 > a user has a custom version of such file in his TEXMFHOME? It seems
 > that there is no cross-platform stable way to find the TeX distro
 > root?

It's not a platform related problem.  You have to find out first
whether you are on TeX Live or MiKTeX.  If none of the variables
mentioned exist in MiKTeX, you can use this fact in order to determine
whether you are on TL or MiKTeX.

I don't know much about MiKTeX but I suppose that its directory
structure is much more rigid than that of TeX Live.  Maybe it's
sufficient to know where the binaries are located.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de