font installation

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 21:10:34 CEST 2024

pá 21. 6. 2024 v 20:40 odesílatel Bruno Voisin via tex-live <
tex-live at tug.org> napsal:

> [...]
> servers. They are also downloaded automatically when you open a document or
> application that uses them.
>
> As I write this on macOS 15 Sequoia Beta (the beta of the next macOS, to
> be released this fall), and does minimal testing, I realize the above might
> change, as one of the core OS fonts has been moved in this beta from
>
>         /System/Library/Fonts/PingFang.ttc

> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FontServices.framework/Resources/Reserved/PingFangUI.ttc
>
> causing XeTeX to fail to use it.
>

> LuaTeX
> ======
>
> LuaTeX (via luaotfload) indexes all of
>
>         ~/Library/Fonts
>         /Library/Fonts
>         /System/Library/Fonts
>         /Network/Library/Fonts
>
> For it to also index the downloadable fonts directory, you need to add
>
>         OSFONTDIR=/System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_Font7//
>
> to your /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf (that's what I do).
>

> XeTeX
> =====
>
> For XeTeX, things depend on whether the fonts are called by font name or
> file name:
>
> - For a font name call, XeTeX uses macOS to find the font (instead of
> fontconfig on Linux). Hence the font must be in the above directories, they
> can't be in the texmf trees (see later how to circumvent that). For example
>
>         \font\testfont="Menlo" at 11pt
>         \testfont Some text
>
> - For a file name call, XeTeX searches the texmf trees and the current
> directory. The macOS font directories aren't searched, you need to use full
> paths, for example
>
>         \font\testfont="[/System/Library/Fonts/Menlo.ttc:0]" at 11pt
>         \testfont Some text
>
> In order to call by name a font which isn't in the macOS font directories,
> you can
>
> - Copy the font to these directories.
>
> - Place a symlink to the font there. Last I tried (some time ago), this
> worked.
>
> However, there is one drawback to this approach: imagine you do this for
> some TrueType or OpenType font from the texmf trees, this means luaotfload
> will index the font twice, for the original font in the texmf tree and for
> its copy or symlink in the macOS font directory.
>
> Probably innocuous, but there is a way to avoid that: create a new library
> in the Font Book application, and add the font to it. macOS will see the
> font, hence XeTeX will be able to call it by name, but no file duplicate or
> symlink will be created.
>
> This is what I do to make the Lucida OpenType fonts, which are installed
> in texmf-local, visible to macOS:
>

> Only thing to check with this approach: at times, an OS update may disable
> the fonts in the library, or remove them from it. You just have to
> re-enable or re-add the fonts.
>
> And this is the big pain. I have a huge collection of commercial fonts
especially designed for Czech typography. They do not have free
equivalents. And the fonts reside in many subdirectories. Similarly, I have
recently installed a huge collection of Armenian fonts and they reside in
any subdirectories as well. That's  why I rarely use TeX on a Mac.

> Bruno Voisin

Zdeněk Wagner
https://www.zdenek-wagner.eu/