font installation

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Thu Jun 20 10:09:39 CEST 2024

On 19/06/2024 23:12, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> fc-cache is not called from cron, fontconfig does it itself via triggers
> as Norbert wrote.

Ah, right, thanks. On this system, installing a TT/OT font by
right-clicking and picking Open With > Fonts installs the font into
~/.local/share/fonts. The font works in LibreOffice and in XeLaTeX.

> XeTeX is somewhat special, it can use all system fonts
> without any Map file.

Ideal, that's what I had concluded.

But if users get non-TL Type 1 fonts from elsewhere, they will still
need to use fontinst and go through the afm2tfm and vp2vf route and
create the Map file; or can XeLaTeX also use .pfb files without it?

> Sometimes it may be difficult to guess the right name
> but in this case fc-match and otfinfo help.

There doesn't appear to be any caseless matching in fc-match or fc-list
or have I missed it? Easy enough to use grep -i

What do people on Windows do without these utilities? I assume they
exist on Macs.

Peter