Problem with 2024 version of graphics.sty

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 09:56:20 CEST 2024

On Wed, 19 Jun 2024 at 04:16, Rod Yager <rod.yager at mq.edu.au> wrote:

> In some of my older documents written in plain TeX ,
> … latex/graphics/graphics.sty  is included via \input graphicx
>
> One of the differences between the 2023 and 2024 versions of
> … latex/graphics/graphics.sty  is that the 2024 version does not include
>
> \providecommand\DeclareRelease[3]{}
> \providecommand\DeclareCurrentRelease[2]{}
>

> This omission results in an undefined command error when
>
> \DeclareRelease{}{2017-06-25}{graphics-2017-06-25.sty}
>

> is encountered in … latex/graphics/graphics.sty.
>

> Rod

thanks, tex-live list isn't really the right place for package issues as
tex live always distributes what's on ctan
but  it's clearly broken.

For now, please adjust graphicx.tex so it starts

% Plain TeX interface to graphicx package.
% David Carlisle

\input miniltx

\providecommand\DeclareRelease[3]{}
\providecommand\DeclareCurrentRelease[2]{}

then it should work as before, I'll sort out a ctan release later today.

Longer term I think I'd like to make graphics-pln use the frozen snapshot
versions such as graphics-2017-06-25.sty
which would isolate the plain tex version from changes in latex, but that
would need a bit of extra setup (there currently isn't a snapshot of
graphicx or color for example)
so the above fix is fine for now.

David