tabulary doesn't work with array [2024/05/23 v2.6c]

Akira Yokosawa akiyks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 04:32:26 CEST 2024

On 2024/06/05 9:16, David Carlisle wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2024 at 01:01, Akira Yokosawa <akiyks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> Thanks for the quick update!
>> It works with array v2.6c.
>>
>> However, It doesn't work with array v2.5g.
>> My MWE with the RequirePackage enabled stops with:
>>
>> ------------------------
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>>
>> \TY at box ...raybackslash \tyformat \insert at pcolumn
>>
>>                                                   \@endpbox
>>
>> l.9 \end{tabulary}
>>

>> ?
>>
>> ! Emergency stop.
>> -------------------------
>>
>> Is this intended?
>>

> Basically yes, array is part of the core latex tools release so you
> shouldn't have an old array package and a new latex
> and if you have an old latex you don't need the new tabulary.  It would of
> course in principle be possible to make the
> code have conditionals everywhere but it slows things down and makes the
> code even harder to maintain.
> So current plan is that the June 2024 latex release (should have) the new
> tabulary, and older releases should be used with
> the versions of tabulary that came with them.
>
> I should though probably add a
> \NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}[2024/06/01]
> to tabulary (to match the one in array) so you get a more useful error
> message as the package loads
> rather than just getting an undefined command in the middle of the
> processing.

I'm not sure but such a backward-incompatible update might need an
option for rollback to an earlier version, like array does.

Then, if I encounter a similar breakage in another package,
I will be able to say:

\RequirePackage{array}[=v2.5]
\RequirePackage{tabulary}[=v0.10]
\usepackage{foo} % not compatible with array >=2.6

as a workaround and to wait for the update of foo.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Akira