tlmgr update --all

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Tue Jun 4 08:12:53 CEST 2024

Hi Karl,

(uggh, that email was supposed to be send out yesterday, but got lost in
the draft ;-)

On Mon, 03 Jun 2024, Karl Berry wrote:
> Yeah. Let me also restate Harald's messages:
>
>     perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>     perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
>             LANGUAGE = (unset),
>             LC_ALL = (unset),
>             LANG = "de_DE.UTF-8"
>         are supported and installed on your system.
>     perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
>
> I figured the problem was ultimately LuaTeX-relatex, since those were
> the only failing engines. But then why do the warning msgs explicitly
> say "perl:"?  I guess because it's fmtutil. But it doesn't make sense to me.

This is NOT from fmtutil, but from the underlying locale library.
So that is issued from perl itself, not fmtutil. There is nothing about
that we can do (easily).

>     luatex is too ...... to work with broken locales
>
> And, what is wrong with "de_DE.UTF-8" for luatex? I'm sure Harald has

The problem is that de_DE.UTF-8 is selected, but the locale has NOT been
generated, that is, it is commented in
	/etc/locale.gen
ie does not show up on
	grep -v '^#' /etc/locale.gen
and thus not generated when running `locale-gen`. As far as I remember
this is the same on most Linux distributions I know.

In my case I have only
	en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
	ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8
enabled, and

> Sounds good to me. Could even do it only if the engine is luatex, but
> I guess there's no practical difference/benefit to that. --thanks, karl.

Yes.

Best

Norbert

arXiv / Cornell University   +   IFMGA Guide   +   TU Wien  +  TeX Live