tlmgr update --all

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jun 2 00:11:01 CEST 2024

Hi Harald,

> the tlmgr update produces errors today.

Seems all the luatex formats got a locale warning.
>From your tlmgr-commands.log:
    [Fri May 31 11:08:33 2024]   ERROR: luatex.fmt/luatex dviluatex.fmt/luatex optex.fmt/luatex luacsplain.fmt/luatex pdfcsplain.fmt/luatex dvilualatex.fmt/luatex dvilualatex-dev.fmt/luatex
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
            LANGUAGE = (unset),
            LC_ALL = (unset),
            LANG = "de_DE.UTF-8"

So you could probably work around the error by setting LANG=C instead,
if you haven't already done that.

As for the cause of the error, it's not immediately apparent to me, or
why it only happens with the luatex formats. Fmtutil itself doesn't do
anything with locales. tlmgr loads our TeXLive/trans.pl, which does
locale stuff from the POSIX module, which might be what's generating the
warning, but ... I don't know.

Norbert, do you have any ideas?

(I also note that the output from different fmtutil calls is interleaved
in tlmgr-commands.pl, which also confuses me, since we don't, as yet, do
anything in parallel. I guess it's stdout vs. stderr, but it should
still all show up in the proper place. Sigh. Can't look into that now.)
--thanks, karl.