TL2024 from .iso fail under cygwin (win11 pro)

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 17:20:56 CEST 2024

On 4/29/2024 7:39 PM, John Collins wrote:
> Isn't one possibility for a software solution to provide a
> wget.x86_64-cygwin binary?  (Someone mentioned that earlier.)  Is there
> a downside?

I see two downsides.  The first is that it would hide what I think is a
real problem: a user installing TL without having read the documentation
about the Cygwin prerequisites.  The second is the following statement
in the instructions for building wget
(https://www.tug.org/texlive/build.html): "Unfortunately, ssl is now
required in order for wget to be useful in TL."  I think this means that
if I were to build wget following those instructions, it would not work
unless the user has installed the dependent ssl library.  That situation
would be much harder for the installer to detect than the absence of wget.

Ken