TL2024 from .iso fail under cygwin (win11 pro)

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Tue Apr 30 05:24:15 CEST 2024

Hi David,

On Fri, 26 Apr 2024, David Carlisle wrote:
> no, think of it as a mount point, you would see same if you used a linux
> curl in wsl2

Really? If I run in WSL and have curl installed in it, and then run
	curl ...
in WSL, I rather rather sure that it will NOT create files in a
different location than the one passed in.

You probably meant running a *Windows* curl from within WSL.

> linux curl would write to its /tmp  not to the windows /tmp which is
> mounted at
> /mnt/c/tmp

That is the other way round. The problem is that the "HOST" curl is used
in the "GUEST" engine.

That should actually NOT be done.

And as far as I remember, WSL(2) is set up in a way that the Windows
binaries are not automatically available, you have to call them
explicitely or adjust the PATH.

In the Cygwin case (HOST=Windows, GUEST=cygwin) this seems to be messed
up because the host's binaries are available (maybe by default).

I think the best solution is for the TL downloader setup to blacklist
binaries from Windows when running on Cygwin.

Best regards

Norbert

arXiv / Cornell University   +   IFMGA Guide   +   TU Wien  +  TeX Live