TL2024 from .iso fail under cygwin (win11 pro)

Pablo González L pablgonz at educarchile.cl
Sun Apr 28 20:49:48 CEST 2024

> TeX Live can detect the platform reliably, hence "It seems you are
> using Cygwin" sounds much too vague.  It can safely be replaced by
> "You are using Cygwin".
>
> But the error message doesn't have to tell users which operating system
> they use.  They want to know how to proceed.
>
> So something like "No wget found in PATH.  Please install wget." is
> preferred.
>
> There is no need to tell Cygwin users to install wget on Cygwin.
> Where else should they install it?
>
> > See the TeX Live Guide....
>
> I definitely prefer a solution which doesn't pollute the TeX Live
> Guide and I suppose that a proper error message is sufficient.

I performed the test with the latest version of `intall-tl` under
`cygwin` without having `wget` installed.

$ ./install-tl --version
install-tl (TeX Live Cross Platform Installer) revision 70922
TeX Live (https://tug.org/texlive) version 2024

$ ./install-tl -no-gui

./install-tl: TLPDB::from_file could not get texlive.tlpdb from:
https://ctan.dcc.uchile.cl/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb
Maybe the repository setting should be changed.
More info: https://tug.org/texlive/acquire.html

It seems you are using Cygwin, and this problem could arise if you haven't
installed Cygwin's wget. See the TeX Live Guide information on Cygwin
for required and recommended packages:
  https://tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html#cygwin

And the message is quite informative, although it could be more precise
as Reinhard points out:

You are using Cygwin, No wget or curl found in PATH, this problem could
arise if you haven't installed Cygwin's wget or curl.

Anyway and just to contradict the message I have installed `curl` and
` scheme-small` and everything goes perfect.

Thanks to all
Saludos
Pablo