TL2024 from .iso fail under cygwin (win11 pro)

Carlos linguafalsa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 22:13:42 CEST 2024

On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 02:32:55PM -0400, Pablo González L wrote:
> > ..
> > so if you know you are in cygwin but with a windows curl  and want to write to /tmp you could use
> >
> > curl -o `cygpath -m /tmp`
> >
> > but actually I wouldn't, I'd say if you are in cygwin and you can't find wget or curl  in /usr/bin
> > act as if curl is not there, don't use the curl in the windows path (which is by default at the end of the cygwin path)
> >
> > David
>
> Here I agree with David, I think the installer under `cygwin` should
> look in `/usr/bin` and not the windows PATH.
>
> .`curl` (as well as `bsdtar`) are installed by default in win10
> versions (since build 17063) and in all win11, and while it was my
> fault for not reading the documentation where it explicitly says that I
> should install `wget`, maybe it would be useful to be more restrictive
> and return an error message when `wget/curl` is not found under cygwin
> (although maybe a binary can be provided for this as it is done for
> other platforms).

In other words, wget must be shipped out along with the install-tl script and let's call it a day

or else

cannot contact mirror.ctan.org, returning a backbone server!

el servidor principal no se encontró.

Speaking of backbones, That wget is a requirement should be attached to the headings of every documentation backbone out there