TL2024 from .iso fail under cygwin (win11 pro)

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 09:53:46 CEST 2024

On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 at 07:57, Norbert Preining <norbert at preining.info>
wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024, David Carlisle wrote:
> > Does it use an absolute path for output?
>
> Yes, quite surely.
>
> > curl -o /tmp/abc
> >
> > will write to windows tmp but that's/cygdrive/c/tmp not /tmp to the
> cygwin
> > perl so files will not be where expected
>
> Sounds extremly stupid to me to write a file to a different place than
> clearly indicated, or?

no, think of it as a mount point, you would see same if you used a linux
curl in wsl2
linux curl would write to its /tmp  not to the windows /tmp which is
mounted at
/mnt/c/tmp

cygwin presents a posix-ish view of a filesystem with its root mounted
(usually) at
c:\cygwin64 in the windows filesystem then it mounts windows mapped drives
as /cygdrive/<mount-letter>/

just as wsl mounts them under /mnt/<drive-letter>

> I don't do cygwin, and it creates soo much pain (the combination of
> Windows with strange unixish stuff).
>
> If someone can go to the bottom of it, I am happy to review patches.

there is a cygpath utility to map between the paths

"mixed" style windows path but using / (curl likes these best)
$ cygpath -w /tmp
C:\cygwin64\tmp

"windows style paths"
$ cygpath -w /tmp
C:\cygwin64\tmp

so if you know you are in cygwin but with a windows curl  and want to write
to /tmp you could use

curl -o `cygpath -m /tmp`

but actually I wouldn't, I'd say if you are in cygwin and you can't find
wget or curl  in /usr/bin
act as if curl is not there, don't use the curl in the windows path (which
is by default at the end of the cygwin path)

David