tl-install restore period

Carlos linguafalsa at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 19:27:38 CEST 2024

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 03:30:40PM +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
> > Perhaps the html tags as David suggested. But you can't tell me it
> doesn't look tacky though.
>
> I did not suggest html tags and it is not tacky.
>
> The <> syntax to mark a URL in plain text is specified in the original
> RFC that defined the URL syntax
>
> < and > are not allowed in URL specifically to support this use:
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1738#section-2.2
>
> says:
>
> The characters "<" and ">" are unsafe because they are used as the
> delimiters around URLs in free text;

You got it all backwards now. They are not unsafe anymore. Also. It is not free text. Free text is in some sort of field.

I reckon you are not implying that the angle brackets you succinctly suggested earlier are in some sort of field now, whatever that field may be. You got it right at first.

Does that url look to you that is in some sort of field?

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1738#section-7

APPENDIX: Recommendations for URLs in Context

   URIs, including URLs, are intended to be transmitted through
   protocols which provide a context for their interpretation.

   In some cases, it will be necessary to distinguish URLs from other
   possible data structures in a syntactic structure. In this case, is
   recommended that URLs be preceeded with a prefix consisting of the
   characters "URL:". For example, this prefix may be used to
   distinguish URLs from other kinds of URIs.

   In addition, there are many occasions when URLs are included in other
   kinds of text; examples include electronic mail, USENET news
   messages, or printed on paper. In such cases, it is convenient to
   have a separate syntactic wrapper that delimits the URL and separates
   it from the rest of the text, and in particular from punctuation
   marks that might be mistaken for part of the URL. For this purpose,
   is recommended that angle brackets ("<" and ">"), along with the
   prefix "URL:", be used to delimit the boundaries of the URL.  This
   wrapper does not form part of the URL and should not be used in
   contexts in which delimiters are already specified.

   In the case where a fragment/anchor identifier is associated with a
   URL (following a "#"), the identifier would be placed within the
   brackets as well.

   In some cases, extra whitespace (spaces, linebreaks, tabs, etc.) may
   need to be added to break long URLs across lines.  The whitespace
   should be ignored when extracting the URL.

   No whitespace should be introduced after a hyphen ("-") character.
   Because some typesetters and printers may (erroneously) introduce a
   hyphen at the end of line when breaking a line, the interpreter of a
   URL containing a line break immediately after a hyphen should ignore
   all unencoded whitespace around the line break, and should be aware
   that the hyphen may or may not actually be part of the URL.

   Examples:

      Yes, Jim, I found it under <URL:ftp://info.cern.ch/pub/www/doc;
      type=d> but you can probably pick it up from <URL:ftp://ds.in
      ternic.net/rfc>.  Note the warning in <URL:http://ds.internic.
      net/instructions/overview.html#WARNING>.