tlshell & perl Win 10 64

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Tue May 31 20:14:23 CEST 2022

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 11:53:03PM +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2022-05-30 at 17:48:30 +0300, Roman Maciuk wrote:
>
>  > On Windows 10 x64 suddenly C:\texlive\2020\bin\win32\tlshell.exe
>  > stopped executing (just now!!)
>  > But it was good as far as yesteday!
>  > Sais "this application cannot be executed on your PC"
>  > Same happens with perl.exe
>  > I wonder, what ran wrong?
>
> Hello Roman,
>
>  > Last thing I did was trying to execute "perl5.30.1.exe Makefile.PL"
>  > for Tk extension to perl Thank you.
>
> Perl version 5.30.1 is older than the version provided by TeX Live
> (5.34.0).  If the version of Perl you installed yourself breaks
> anything in TeX Live you could try to type
>
>    tlmgr conf texmf TEXLIVE_WINDOWS_TRY_EXTERNAL_PERL 0
>
> on the command line.  Regarding the last argument: 0 means 'false' and
> 1 means 'true'.  Perl scripts shipped with TeX Live will then use the
> Perl provided by TeX Live.  The drawback is that scripts requiring
> non-standard Perl modules will not work.
>
> A better solution is to remove your local Perl installation, install
> version 5.34.0, and try again.  But please check whether the new Perl
> works with TeX Live before you try to install additional modules.
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard

Roman, apparently you have TL 2020 installed. Since we are not equipped
to support or debug old versions, I advise you to replace your
installation with the current one, 2022, and try again.

Also: the included perl is intended just to support the TL
infrastructure. For other uses, you are on your own.

By the way: tlshell is a Tcl/Tk script, serving as a front end to
the Perl script tlmgr.

Although tlmgr has a GUI mode of its own, using Perl/Tk, the Perl/Tk
module is not part of the included Perl for Windows anymore.

--
Siep Kroonenberg