TeXLive2022 bug: a file is not unzipped...

Marcel Fabian Krüger tex at 2krueger.de
Thu May 19 01:21:29 CEST 2022

Hi,

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 09:59:03PM +0200, Jacques André wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using TeXLive 2022 on MacOS (thru TeXShop/MacTeX).
> A program that was runing with TeXLive2021 does not succeed with TeXLive 2022.
> This program get a list of all available fonts for luaotfload and comes from
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/14162/how-do-i-get-a-list-of-all-available-fonts-for-luaotfload (version 2015).
>
> Today I get the followong error:
>
> This is LuaHBTeX, Version 1.15.0 (TeX Live 2022)  (format=lualatex 2022.4.6)  18 MAY 2022 21:32
> cannot open /Users/jacquesandre/Library/texlive/2022/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/names/luaotfload-names.luc
>
> Looking at this place, I find a file named luaotfload-names.luc.zip

I would be *very* surprised if that's really the name of the file. More
likely it's a .gz file and not a .zip.

> If I decompress it (at this place), my program works.
>
> Probably an error when making the TeXLive file ?

No, your script just isn't compatible with the new version. Newer
luaotfload version always compress the font name database to save disk
space and improve performance on systems with slow drives.

You can look at the manpage of luaotfload.conf(5) if you want to turn
off compression.

Best,
Marcel