Repeated Mac arm64 crashes of xdvi-xaw with "set_no_char: attempt to set character of unknown font, offset 42"

John Hawkinson jhawk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 23 21:50:04 CET 2022

Thanks Richard. I didn't mean to indicate I thought it was necessarily an arm-specific problem, although it might be. I was trying to be very clear about the environment.

If I go back to my x86_64 machine, running TexLive 2015 (xdvik version 22.87, XQuartz 2.7.11, MacOS Sierra 10.12.6), then xdvi does not crash with the same t2a.dvi file. And that same x86_64 xdvi binary does crash when run on the arm64 machine under Rosetta emulation, just as the more recent native arm64 xdvi crashes.

I'm not really clear on what this suggests, other thans omething about the environment rather than the xdvi-xaw binary per se.

jhawk at alum.mit.edu
John Hawkinson

Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote on Sun, 23 Jan 2022