[EXT] Re: With beamer, "Missing { inserted." (regression)

Philip Taylor (Royal Holloway) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Feb 18 12:59:07 CET 2022

On 18/02/2022 11:23, Bernhard Kleine wrote:

Am 18.02.2022 um 10:45 schrieb Philip Taylor (Royal Holloway):

That really isn't an issue here though, there is no reason to suppose this hypothetical naive latex user should know plain tex syntax at all

Are there really such people, David ?  [...]

Yes there are! I am using LaTeX since the late eighties, I own the texbook, but I do not understand it mostly, since I am not a programmer, only in interested in writing scietific texts for a variety of purposes. The programming with TeX und Latex is beyond my reach.

Fair enough, I did not intend to appear dismissive of people such as yourself.  But I suspect that the issue is not dissimilar to that of (say) driving a car — there are undoubtedly (?many?) people who drive a car yet have no idea how an engine, gearbox or clutch work; but I cannot help but feel that those who do understand how such things work are more likely to (e.g.,) endeavour to match engine speed to road speed before engaging the clutch after a gear change than those who do not.

In the same way, those who understand how TeX works "under the bonnet" are more likely to write custom macros ("\newcommand" s) that are specifically targetted at their universe of discourse rather then use only those macros ("commands") that LaTeX offers out of the box.

--
Philip Taylor

This email, its contents and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. In certain circumstances, it may also be subject to legal privilege. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. If you have received this email in error, please notify us and immediately and permanently delete it. Any views or opinions expressed in personal emails are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Royal Holloway, University of London. It is your responsibility to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.