tlmgr failed due to a system reboot

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Sat Sep 25 14:50:56 CEST 2021

Devon Ge wrote:

>    Just now I used `tlmgr update --all` to update my packages. During
> the updating process, my PC got a blue screen (Yes, Windows 10
> operating system) and rebooted itself. Now I type "tlmgr update --all"
> and it failed.
> Here is the error message: First directive needs to be 'name', not  at
> C:/texlive/2021/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPOBJ.pm line 104, <TMP> line 1.
>  Is it possible to fix this? or do I need to re-installed the iso file?

I suspect that it has left a temporary file which is confusing it. I
don't have a Windows 10 system (thank G0d) but I do have a Windows
Server 2019 system which shares much of the same codebase.  I find on my
WS-2019 system that if I launch a CMD prompt and then type "Set"
(without the string quotes), it offers a list of all known environment
variables.  Two of mine are TEMP and TMP, both of which expand to

    C:\Users\<redacted>~1\AppData\Local\Temp\1

If I were you, I would look in wherever TEMP and/or TMP expand to for
files created today, and delete any/all that might be TeX-Live related.
It would almost certainly do no harm to empty the director{y|ies}
completely, since you won't be allowed to delete any files that are
currently open.  Then try again.
--
/Philip Taylor/