Intolerable difference in glyph width: font=vnbx12

The Thanh Han hanthethanh at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 20:14:36 CEST 2021

Dear all,

thank you for your very valuable testing and comments.

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 9:06 AM Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> In other words, the metrics change for the advance width of 'u horn'
> to be identical to 'u' was done in the vnbx12 sources and/or the TFM
> files but apparently forgotten in `vnbx12.pfb` (see attached images).

yes this seems the root of the problem. The pfb files were converted using
a number of tools and I honestly cannot recall exactly how it was done.
Fortunately
there is a tugboat article https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb24-1/thanh.pdf
about it.

>From the article it looks likely that all [uoUo]horn letters (plus their
accented variants)
from vnr fonts will have this problem, and it will take quite a lot of
time/work to fix.
I wish I had the time to fix this problem, but I have other things that
have higher priority
on my todo list.

If someone would like to work on this, I will do my best to make all info
and tools available.

Regards,
Thanh