Using tlmgr.bat under bash on MS-Windows

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 15:13:45 CET 2021

On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 at 08:27, Arash Esbati <arash at gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I use bash packaged with Msys2 on MS-Windows.  All .exe file provided by
> TeXlive run without problems in a bash shell.  One thing that doesn't
> run for obvious reasons is tlmgr.bat, alas, I have to open a cmd box to
> update TeXlive.  Here is a one-line wrapper for bash to run tlmgr.bat:

> #!/bin/sh
>
> # This is a small wrapper around tlmgr.bat in order to use it under
> # bash from Msys2.  Note the double // for escaping /
> cmd.exe //c tlmgr.bat "$@"; exit $?
>
> I'm not sure if it makes sense to add this to TeXlive for Windows.  But
> maybe it helps others.

With WSL you can use TeX Live in linux.   I work with multi-author projects
so have reason to format "problematic" documents on both Windows and
specific linux distros, so I have noticed that linux-64 TL is much faster
than
win32 TL (despite the generally poor I/O performance in WSL).   The one
annoyance is that in native linux you can have a PDF document open in a
linux viewer and generate a new version. For  Windows Adobe viewers you
have to close the PDF view first.

--
George N. White III