[EXT] Re: tinytex "signature verification error"

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Nov 20 21:44:30 CET 2021

On 2021-11-19 at 21:13:06 +0000, Philip Taylor (Royal Holloway) wrote:

 > On 19/11/2021 20:56, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 >

 > Dear Phil,
 > tracert (or traceroute on Unix) is simply the wrong tool.
 >
 > mirror.ctan.org and comedy.dante.de is actually one and the same
 > machine (IP 5.35.249.60), the machine which redirects your requests.
 > What traceroute returns is *not* the machine you are directed to.
 >
 > OK, understood. So (strictly speaking)
 >
 > mirror.ctan.org [...] automatically finds a server closest to you.
 >
 > is not true, but :
 >
 > https://mirror.ctan.org [...] automatically finds a server closest to you.
 >
 > would be.  I.e., the "finding of the closest server" is not a
 > function of the DNS but of the server response to an http(s)
 > request initially sent to mirror.ctan.org.  Would you agree with
 > that ?

Yes, it's a script running on the DANTE web server.  But I don't think
that the exact wording is important here because all this redirection
stuff is about HTTP requests.  You will not be redirected when you
contact the DANTE staff by email though the DNS name is the same.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de