Intolerable difference in glyph width: font=vnbx12

Akira Kakuto kakuto at jcom.zaq.ne.jp
Sat Nov 13 23:46:42 CET 2021

> But there is a problem: The hsbw values in the Type 1 fonts seem to be
> CHARWD values rounded to integers without being scaled from pt to bp.

> This looks wrong to me but what confuses me is that all TeX engines
> provide correct output though.

I think I explained in a private mail why the unit transformation from
pt to bp is not necessary by showing an example of vnr12:

mftrace gives
/zero {
     41 489 hsbw

In this case, the size consistent with vnr12.tfm will be obtained
in vnr12.pfb scaled by 12*72/72.27.
(CHARWD R 0.489464) in vnr12.tfm is a ratio to the design size 12pt.
489 * 0.001 in vnr12.pfb is a ratio to 1bp.

PS: Here I have pfb's for all vnr fonts made by mftrace.
     I can send them as 11 small splitted files if one wants.

Best,
Akira