ACCEPTED: Packaging-con: Tools for packaging and using Portable TeX Documents

Vít Novotný witiko at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 12:08:26 CET 2021

Dear Jonathan,

I listened to your talk yesterday at Packaging-con and I found it riveting.
Is there any proof of concept of PTD yet?

In my own experience, the reproducible aspect of PTD is nicely solved by
Docker. I can accompany my document with the instruction that it should be
compiled using the following command:

    $ docker run --rm -v "$PWD"/workdir:/workdir -w /workdir
texlive/texlive:b0841883623e latexmk -pdf document.tex

This will reproducibly compile the file workdir/document.tex by ensuring
that any files outside workdir/ will be filled in from the immutable Docker
image of TeX Live with digest b0841883623e
<https://hub.docker.com/layers/texlive/texlive/latest/images/sha256-b0841883623ed059c46f94baf6b49eb9fdffc764e15fc8bd5cb5346ea02724c6?context=explore>.
Admittedly, this requires a 2G download. However, it is something that
works today, which I think has its value.

What you may also find useful is the Perl LaTeXMk tool that Overleaf uses
for the automatic compilation of documents. To know if any source files
have changed since the last compilation, LaTeXMk keeps a text database of
all dependencies by the inspection of LOG files. For example, if I run the
command latexmk -pdf source2e.tex, the attached file sample2e.fdb_latexmk
will be created and will contain a complete list of dependencies together
with last modified timestamps, file sizes, and hashes. Given a backing
store that can fetch these files, this text database seems almost
sufficient as a recipe for reproducibly recompiling the TeX document.

Best,
Vítek Novotný

st 22. 9. 2021 v 22:38 odesílatel Jonathan Fine <jfine2358 at gmail.com>