kpsewhich: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by kpsewhich)

Henri Menke henri at henrimenke.de
Sat May 15 12:02:32 CEST 2021

On 15/05/21, 10:03, Harald Koenig via tex-live wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a german TeX user with Scientific Linux 6.10 got this error msg
>
>   kpsewhich: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by kpsewhich)
>
> after 3+ hours of downloads when trying to build format files etc.
>
> I notice that Scientific Linux is "end of life":
>
>       https://scientificlinux.org/downloads/sl-versions/sl6/
>       As of November 2020 SL 6 is End Of Life, you should not perform new installations of this operating system.
>
> and I already suggested to consider an update.
> but I have two questions:
>
> - which linux system do you use to build TL 2021 binaries ?

Debian Jessie (unless it changed, Norbert knowns more)

> - why does TL installation start and work up to format generation at all?
> are all binaries needed for installation (perl, curl, ... ?) used from the distro ?

Yes, utilities from the distros are preferred.

> I've checked the TL binaries and notice that some (few) of them do not have GLIBC_2.14 requirements,
> are those build on a different version, or is it just that they don't use any GLIBC calls which got changed in 2.14 ?

You only get the GLIBC_2.14 error when you are trying to use a symbol
that has changed or was introduced in that version.

What you can try to do is compile a newer version of glibc manually, but
don't install it system-wide, as that will mess up everything. Instead
place it, e.g. in the TeX Live tree and use LD_PRELOAD or use the
patchelf utility to adjust the rpath of the binaries.

In the long run it's probably better to switch to a newer system.

Cheers, Henri