Idea: Git as basis for future CTAN and TeX Live. (Discuss here or at tomorrow's TeX Hour)

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Mon Jun 28 02:01:49 CEST 2021

Hi Patrick

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021, Patrick wrote:
> I used to mirror CTAN with a git repository (a commit of the current
> status every day). It grew so big, that was completely unmaintainable.

That is what I am doing currently, and it is not that bad if you exclude
all the archives from git. My gitignore contains entries to ignore
	tar, zip, pkg, cab, jar, dmg, rpm, deb, tgz, iso, exe, cab
all *.$i and *.$i.*

That way, the checked out repo has about 60Gb (that is the .git and all
files actually checked out *and* containing all the archives above,
too!)

The raw repository is only about 12Gb, so that is not bad at all (but
the raw doesn't contain the archives from above).

But I stopped actually using it since the one-commit-per-day is not
really useful. If at some point we could arrange for
one-commit-per-package-update etc that would be very useful indeed.

Best

Norbert

Fujitsu Research  +  IFMGA Guide  +  TU Wien  +  TeX Live  + Debian Dev