allowing use of fonts across texlive versions

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sat Jun 12 11:28:28 CEST 2021

I like to have a number of texlive versions installed. It allows me
to check if an error is new or not.

On my PC this is not a problem, I have enough disc space but it puts
quite some strain on my laptop. I can delete the doc and the source
folder from older texlive to save some space, but one large folder
in a texmf-dist is the fonts folder and this one can't simply
delete.

Would it be possible to move the fonts from texmf-dist into a
separate texmf-tree say texmf-fonts?

Then I could delete the fonts folder in older systems and redirect
them to use the one of the newest texlive. (I know that this is not
perfect and it could lead to incompabilities as fonts change over
time too, but in most cases it should be ok).

--
Ulrike Fischer
https://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/