pdflatex does not work on win after todays update but does on linux

Boris Veytsman borisv at lk.net
Tue Jun 8 21:06:26 CEST 2021

ZW> From: Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>
ZW> Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 15:02:56 +0200

ZW> Yes, it is a prompt showing that U:\texlive\bin\win32 is the current
ZW> directory. There is a big difference between Windows and UNIX. UNIX
ZW> systems will not run a program from a current directory unless its
ZW> path is specified, it will always search PATH.

\begin{Cranky Old Timer's Mode}

Sorry for the nitpicking, but the part about Unix is not exactly
correct.  Unix systems used to have dot (the current directory) in the
PATH, so a line "foo" would run the program "foo" in the current
directory if it exists.  I remember when people started to consider
this to be insecure (some time in the last century), and gradually dot
was removed from the default PATH in most systems.  Nowadays you need to
say "./foo" if you want to run the program "foo" in the current
directory.

\end{Cranky Old Timer's Mode}

--
Good luck

-Boris

Personally, I think my choice in the mostest-superlative-computer wars has to
be the HP-48 series of calculators.  They'll run almost anything.  And if they
can't, while I'll just plug a Linux box into the serial port and load up the
HP-48 VT-100 emulator.
(By jdege at winternet.com, Jeff Dege)