TeX Live and linux-aarch64-musl

Johannes Hielscher jhielscher at posteo.de
Fri Jun 4 15:52:26 CEST 2021

Hi Alexander,

I second you with the assessment, that the adaption of ARM/AArch64
for open UN*Xoid operating systems will gain momentum in the years
coming (in addition to growth of closed AArch64 OSes like Mac OS and
Windows). That's part of why I had voluneered for TL port of
aarch64-linux (glibc-based) a few years ago.

Porting TL to musl is most probably quite easy, given the fairly modern
and active state of the environment (compilers etc.), as well as some
Linux distros based on musl (Alpine [0] and Void [1] come to my mind)
already have own TL “downstream” binary packages in their regular
repositories.

On the other hand, this also lowers the driving force to supply
aarch64-linuxmusl binaries with “upstream” TeXLive. Unless I overlook
some major use case/scenario of demand for TL binaries, IMHO the
societal layer between those who are fine with the respective distro
binaries, and those who are able/willing to compile TL by themselves
(and link against the libc of their choice) is rather small.

Best,
Johannes

[0]
https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/edge/community/aarch64/texlive