circular dependency when building LaTeX?

Thiago Jung Bauermann bauermann at kolabnow.com
Tue Jul 6 22:21:46 CEST 2021

Hello Norbert,

Em terça-feira, 6 de julho de 2021, às 16:36:45 -03, Norbert Preining
escreveu:
> Hi Thiago,
>
> > This is great to know, and surprising to me. Unfortunately it’s hard to
>
> Why is it surprising? Consider it something like a rolling release with
> daily updates. I know it is somehow a pain for packagers, but one can
> work around that.

It’s just that I’m not used to rolling releases. :-)
It’s not too much of a pain I think, especially with a big Subversion
monorepo: just check out a revision and run with it. The only trouble is
selecting which revision to freeze for 6 months…

But this is a discussion for the tldistro mailing list. :-)

> > update TeX Live very often in Guix, because each time that happens it
> > causes thousands of packages to be rebuilt. Guix has been updating TeX
> > Live
> Well, that is indeed a pain, I agree. OTOH, it is a *great* CI testing
> for *us* ;-) Honestly, I see that this is a problem, but none that we
> can fix on our side, right?

That’s true.

> > Guix uses the texlive-<date>-source tarball for the Build/ part, if I
> > understand things correctly. Maybe it would be an improvement to get it
> > from a more recent Subversion tag instead. I’ll experiment with it.
>
> I am not sure whether guix allows for something like patches to the
> sources. We hardly do updates to the binary sources of the released
> branch over the year, only for really critical fixes (like the recent
> one for pdftex). So you could also fetch only the diffs and apply them
> to the source tarball you have.

Yes, sometimes patches are applied on top of the upstream sources. We could
do that indeed. Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Thanks,
Thiago