Why is `openin_any = p` restricting access to packages in TEXMFDIST?

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 10:44:52 CEST 2020

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 at 22:03, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

>     Is there some way I can get the updated version with tlmgr to test
>     if it's working now?
>
> No. Sorry.
>
>     Not sure how quickly commits from SVN make it
>     into anything downloadable through tlmgr.
>
> There won't be new binaries for native TL until TL 2021 (April/May-ish,
> most likely.)  This fix might make it into distro binaries earlier, but
> I have no control or specific knowledge about that.
>
> I'm glad DavidC provided a workaround for now. Thanks David.
> (Even further ... maybe xparse could be changed, somehow, until the next
> release is out, so as not to fail here?)

Done for the upcoming October LaTeX release: this xparse input will avoid
the \pdffilesize test so will work.

Other uses of \pdffilesize (and more or less any use of lualatex) will
still fail with openin_any=p
but that is as it has been for some time. Thanks to Akira for adjusting the
binaries for tl2021.

David