kpathsea SELFAUTOLOC is wrong

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Sep 19 01:32:31 CEST 2020

On 2020-09-18 at 14:31:42 -0700, Ben Smith wrote:

 > Hi, I installed texlive 2020 last week on my thinkpad x1 yoga (gen 4)
 > last week, running arch linux. I used the download script from
 > tug.org. It successfully installed, but is not working. kpathsea seems
 > to be looking for files in the wrong place, and can't find texmf.cnf
 > or latex.fmt or anything. After some digging around I found that
 > SELFAUTOLOC is set to /usr/bin, but my whole texlive is installed in
 > /usr/local/texlive. (I get this by running kpsewhich
 > -var-value=SELFAUTOLOC)

SELFAUTOLOC is never set to /usr/bin.  Please check your environment
variables.  Remove all TeX related variables from the environment and
try again.

Does Arch Linux really set SELFAUTOLOC to /usr/bin in the environment?
That would be crazy.  What is the output of

  echo $SELFAUTOLOC

?

Regards,
  Reinhard