Why is quran package installed by default on Texlive2020

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 16 00:59:31 CEST 2020

    why the Koran was in MacTeX. Here's the answer I gave.

Nice historical information. However, the real answer is, "for any
package X, if it is uploaded to CTAN and under a free software license,
by default we will include it in TL".  The contents of the package are,
at first blush, immaterial. I will not make value judgements about what
is or isn't "worthy" of being in TL.

If legal or other issues (filename conflicts, etc.) are discovered at
the time or down the road, or the author requests removal, that's
fine, we remove packages frequently.

More details: https://tug.org/texlive/pkgcontrib.html

--best, karl.