Why is quran package installed by default on Texlive2020

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri May 15 12:49:43 CEST 2020

pá 15. 5. 2020 v 12:29 odesílatel Philip Taylor
<P.Taylor at hellenic-institute.uk> napsal:

> Urs Liska wrote:
>
> Why does some collection have to depend on a given package at all? From
> the conceptual perspective I'd assum quran depends on -xetex not vice
> versa.
>
> Is this how TeX Live is organized, i.e. quran (or any other package) is
> only included if one of the collections depends on it?
>
> If so wouldn't it be useful to have a collection to pull in all non-
> essential packages? Because (although I have zero interest in whether
> quran is installed or not) I don't see why installing the -xetex
> collection would pull in that package. quran is not necessary to use
> XeTeX, isn't it?
>

> I had exactly the same conversation with myself while showering this morning.  And it seems to me that the answer is "because 'Collection XeTeX' is a collection".  In other words, if you install the package 'quran', it will install XeTeX and other things on which it ('quran') depends; but if you install 'Collection XeTeX', then you will install XeTeX and all the packages that make use of XeTeX.  N'est-ce pas ?

Returning to technical discussion, quran can be used with XeTeX, with
LuaTeX, and with ArabTeX, hence its inclusion in collection-xetex is
really strange. IMHO collection-xetex should contain files for the
formats (plain XeTeX, XeLaTeX), polyglossia, fontspec and possibly a
few more packages needed generally for use with the XeTeX engine. Thus
quran should not even depend on XeTeX because it works with other
engines as well.

> Philip Taylor

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz