Lots of anomalous messages during update

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Mon Mar 23 13:39:53 CET 2020

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:45:19AM +0100, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Sun, 22 Mar 2020 19:02:06 +0900 schrieb Hironobu Yamashita:
>

> >> haranoaji-tlpost.pl
>
> > Update from Masamichi installed on r54472; let's see...
>
> I got today (on windows 10, account without admin rights) around 15
> messages about missing rights:
>
> CreateSymbolicLinkW failed: Dem Client fehlt ein erforderliches
> Recht.

I found this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winbase/nf-winbase-createsymboliclinka

Apparently, it is necessary to explicitly allow creation of a
symlink by a non-admin. God forbid that a non-admin user would be
able to do real work!

A somewhat earlier post elsewhere,
https://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/04/windows-10-creators-update-symlinks-without-elevation/ ,
mentioned that from the March 2017 update non-admin users can create
symlinks if Developer Mode is enabled.

--
Siep Kroonenberg