tl2020 pretest begin

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Mar 14 04:03:48 CET 2020

> The problem is not the encoding itself.  The problem is that many file
> formats don't allow to specify the encoding.  Positive examples are

Indeed. Most fundamentally simple text files.

> I agree with Paulo that UTF-8 is the preferred encoding, whenever
> possible.  The world is quite small nowadays.

Well, I agree with that, for sure.

> Is there any reason why Japanese prefer other encodings than UTF-8?

Shorter encoding of normal text. If you use iso-2022 or euenc or so,
you get shorter byte length because UTF8 encodes CJK with 2-4 bytes.
And the fact that lots of programs are actually still defaulting to
these encodings, in particular mail programs. You want to know ho wmany
mails a day with these non-utf encodings I get per day?

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev