tl2020 pretest begin

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 14 03:36:37 CET 2020

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 03:20:52AM +0100, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> Is there any reason why Japanese prefer other encodings than UTF-8?

As I understand it, from a Japanese point of view the shapes for
some Han codepoints are "wrong".  Some of the Han codepoints are
only used by one of the variant scripts, but others are used by more
than one (in this case, Japanese and one of the Chinese variants)
and look wrong to Japanese eyes.

For codepoints which are in both zh-cn and zh-hk I think that the
same may be true (compare the variants of Noto fonts).

OTOH, my understanding is based on what people told me in the past,
and maybe I'm totally wrong.  If so, please correct this.

ĸen
--
#define THE_TRUTH_AND_THATS_CUTTIN_ME_OWN_THROAT true
            Al Viro, complaining about a 'TRUE' macro in staging