rendering brackets

Michael J. Baars mjbaars1977.tex-live at cyberfiber.eu
Sat Mar 7 16:12:30 CET 2020

On Thu, 2020-03-05 at 07:51 +0000, David Carlisle wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Mar 2020 at 06:14, Michael J. Baars
> <mjbaars1977.tex-live at cyberfiber.eu> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-03-03 at 20:58 +0000, David Carlisle wrote:

> > > why? 1 is clearly taller than a.
> >
> > Yes, you are completely right. '1' is not the same height as 'a',
> > but
> > the sum of the two should be constant, therefore '1/a' and 'a/1'
> > should
> > be the same height.
>
> as I said before, the sum never comes in to the layout at all, if
> they
> were closely stacked so that the sum affected the total height the
> the
> fraction bar on 1/a woul dbe lower than the one on a/1 and that is
> not
> what happens. the fraction bar (if at all possible) is set on the
> math
> axis, the same height as - or the bar in +

Let's look at the other styles, as you can see from the attachment,
both '1' and 'a' are first placed in boxes of the same height. Both the
height of the individual characters and the sum of the heights of the
characters is then of no importance. All the different styles produce
fractions of the same height and are rendered with the same brackets,
except the one rendered in displaystyle.