How to package executables

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Tue Jul 21 10:36:15 CEST 2020

Hi Henri,

> There is a major difference between these and the proposed Python
> pacakges, which is that these are already in TeX Live and it would be a

Hmm, but those packages have entered TL at some point, without
objections.

> Also there is no standard cross-platform way comparable to pip install
> Java and Perl programs.  I would think that users rather expect Python
> software to be installable via pip than anything else.  It is of course

I would rather not. I prefer users to use their distribution package
manager, or at least TeX Live. pip is a source of trouble for those who
don't know what it is for and how it is used and should be used.

All the best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev