Misleading error message from tlmgr

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Jan 31 00:57:15 CET 2020

Hi Ralph,

> Doesn't the networking stack give different responses for "connection cannot be made / timed out / dropped / lost" and (signature) "file not found"?
> If so, the former could be reported as "networking error" rather than "not signed".

Well, if we would have *one* networking stack, say we could guarantee to
use LWP on all platforms, *and* we remove the support for selecting
downloaders (lwp, curl, wget) (which would hurt probably some Mac
users), we could pass through the return codes from lwp all the way
through the stack (3-5 calls). Ah, and I forget, we would also need to
drop support for retrying downloads with wget/curl in case LWP failed,
or some other error occurred.

If I want to duplicate something similar for cmd line wget and curl
calls, it is getting difficult.

Yes, it is possible, I agree, but I am not convinced that it is worth
the pain for a slightly more informative error message ...

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev