babel greep and missing characters in TL2019

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 10:38:22 CET 2020

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 02:10, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> > \expandafter\def\csname ver at tuenc.def\endcsname{}
> > \usepackage[greek]{babel}
> > \expandafter\let\csname ver at tuenc.def\endcsname\relax
>
> Is the final un-define necessary?

It's better but most likely not needed because in a typical xetex/luatex
document there are no encoding changes anyway, the whole document is set in
a single encoding, TU (Unicode).
so chances are that no later code will be checking whether
<newencoding>enc.def has or has not already been  loaded.

> Reason: these are generated documents (dblatex docbook xml) and
> injecting code into arbitrary locations is not trivial. I can do the
> first def easily, but the undef is a bit painful.

Hopefully we can get the necessary one line change to the babel greek file
then you won't need to add either

> Best

David