CMD script identified by Malwarebytes as potential randomware

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Aug 9 21:02:12 CEST 2020

On 2020-08-09 at 18:38:00 +0200, Manfred Lotz wrote:

 > On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 17:59:52 +0200
 > Uwe Ziegenhagen <ziegenhagen at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 > > I'd say all *.bat and *.cmd files are categorized as potentially
 > > harmful on modern Windows systems.
 > >

 > I don't believe it. Doesn't make sense to me.

Well, they are less harmful than .exe files because you can determine
what they do before you execute them.  But some people have curious
opinions.  Adobe considers .zip, .tar.gz,... files attached to PDF
files as harmful and their software refuses to extract them.

My solution was to attach .zip files to a Perl script which does the
extraction when being executed.  So I attach Perl scripts to PDF files.
Adobe obviously considers Perl scripts harmless and happily allows
users to extract them.

But coming back to Phil's original message.  It's a well known matter
of fact that many virus scanners occasionally report false positives.
For a couple of years we got much less reports than 10 or 15 years
ago.  Maybe the scanners became better, probably due to feedback from
users.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25