microscopic fonts in TL guis

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Thu Apr 9 16:21:46 CEST 2020

Jim Diamond via tex-live wrote:

> I think "correct" means "if the screen is physically X DPI, then Xshould report X".
> Other people seem to think "correct" means "96, regardless of what reality is".
>
> I consider the latter to be a horrible kludge which has become popular
> because it is expedient, but YMMV.

Blame not the kludgers, Jim, blame the CSS Working Group who defined the CSS reference pixel to be the visual angle of one pixel on a device with a pixel density of 96 DPI and a distance from the reader of an arm’s length. (for the British Standard Arm, clearly: see BS 31415 (1899), as amended).

> https://hacks.mozilla.org/2013/09/css-length-explained/

/Philip Taylor/