TeXLive binaries for `darwinlegacy'

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Nov 10 00:21:57 CET 2019

Dear Werner,

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 at 11:15, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> It seems that I could successfully compile all TeXLive binaries using
> MacPort's clang-8.0 compiler on my (64bit) Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion) box

The binaries should compile out of the box with a suitable compiler
even on 10.5 (10.4 might pose a bigger challenge, I stopped targeting
that one loooooooong ago).

The reason for issues is that:
- We can no longer build against libstdc++ v2 as shipped by the system
(no support for C++11).
- I want to build against (native) libc++ rather than some weird
libstdc++ v3 as shipped by external gcc.
- 10.6 doesn't ship with libc++, and the one that comes with MacPorts
is too new to work on Lion.
- I tried building against 10.7 SDK on 10.6, but that produces
unusable binaries for 10.6.
- It's nice to still support 10.6 as long as we can do that without
too much hassle.

I made another attempt of taking libc++ from Lion and putting it
inside the 10.6 SDK. It could be that this is what I already did in
2018, but maybe MacPorts somehow overwrote it in the meantime which
broke on Lion.

Are you willing to test whether
    http://dl.contextgarden.net/build/texlive/x86_64-darwinlegacy.tar.xz
finally works?

If it does, I'll use the same settings to build from the 2019 branch
and commit the two problematic binaries to SVN.

> I used the current git version of MacPorts, but I guess that the last
> release (2.6.2) works, too.

MP version plays absolutely no role in this.
(I build the binaries with clang 9.0 now.)

> Note that I didn't build the stuff that needs manual compilation (for
> example, `asy').

All my attempts to build asy with all the required libraries on 10.6
seem to have failed so far. Maybe I should do another attempt with
just the barebones program and no fancy stuff.

Mojca