Dependencies

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Nov 8 00:38:09 CET 2019

    > It's needed to build xelatex-dev, which is part of xetex.tlpsrc.

    Er, I'm still confused :) I thought latex-base-dev would be strictly
    opt-in.

Ok, I split xelatex-dev into its own package. Still part of
collection-xetex, so the change should be mostly invisible except in
cases like yours where you're working with individual packages.

The underlying idea is that, long ago, xetex itself was "opt-in", in the
sense that one could install the whole (La)TeX system without any XeTeX.
It was all segregated into c-xetex. Conversely, if someone asks for
xetex, they get everything; it's never been big enough to have
c-xetexextra. Therefore, when I added xelatex-dev, I just added it to the
xetex package, since it was the easiest thing to do.

That scenario should still basically be possible with core latex,
although there are surely plenty of xetex-dependent packages in other
collections at this point. -k